Principal & Managing Partner
Mr. Acosta is the principal of Acosta & Associates with a concentration in civil and commercial litigation, his broad trial and appellate experience includes representing clients in a wide variety of litigation matters, including wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases, Major League Baseball Players Assoc. arbitration matters, product liability and medical malpractice cases, premises liability, and commercial/ contractual litigation. Mr. Acosta is admitted to the trial bar in the Supreme Court of the United States as well as the Northern and Central Federal District Courts of Illinois and has successfully represented several clients before Illinois’ First and Second District Appellate Courts. Mr. Acosta is licensed in the states of Illinois and in Minnesota (currently inactive).
Mr. Acosta has a national litigation/ arbitration practice including successful representation of Major League Baseball players in arbitration hearings and litigating in the state courts of South Florida pro hac vice on behalf of his professional (MLB) baseball player clients. He is among a handful of litigators representing a national grocery chain in personal injury defense matters. He has 25 years of experience litigating civil and commercial matters for Fortune 500 companies and individual litigants in the state and federal courts of Illinois. He currently resides in St. Charles, Illinois, with his wife of 24 years. Together they have six children. The son of Cuban immigrants (both physicians), he is fluent in Spanish.
Professional and Community Service:
• Fellow of the DuPage County Academy of Bar Leaders,
• Chair-Qualified Arbitrator in both the Cook and DuPage County Mandatory Arbitration Programs.
• De facto General Counsel to mid-sized Chicago-based construction and chemical companies and to Mary’s Kids, a Chicago-based charitable not-for-profit that supports inner-city youth
• Director of the steering committee and as a volunteer with Urban Youth Ministries, an inner-city ministry dedicated to providing sports and summer enrichment programs for children in Aurora, IL.
• Past Director on the Board of the DuPage County Bar Foundation
• Past Director and corporate Secretary for the Cuban Lutheran Fellowship, a not-for-profit ministry supporting the training of pastors in Cuba.
• Past Director on the boards of Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of DuPage County and Fox Valley Lutheran Academy.
• Mr. Acosta is co-author of an Illinois Bar Journal article entitled Beware of the Super Lien, on the subject of Medicare liens in personal injury cases (Spring 1991).
Mr. Acosta received his Bachelor of Arts Degree (B.A.) in 1986 from the University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana with a concentration in Political Science and Psychology.
He received his Juris Doctorate (J.D.) in 1988 from Loyola University Law School in Chicago where Mr. Acosta was awarded the American Jurisprudence Award for excellence in Contracts (highest class grade), served as an officer in Loyola Law School’s Hispanic Law Student Association, was very active in serving indigent clients in Loyola’s Law Clinic program (2 semesters) and received honors for Leadership and Service.
1988-1989 Williams & Montgomery (n/k/a Williams, Montgomery & John)
1989 - 1996 Sanchez & Daniels, Partner (1996), Chicago, Illinois –
1996 - 2000 Law Offices of George L. Acosta, P.C., Wheaton, Illinois –
2000 – 2013 Acosta & Skawski, P.C., Managing Partner, Chicago &
2014–Present Acosta & Associates, Chicago (Cook County) Wheaton (DuPage County) St. Charles (Kane County)
Civil Litigation / Contract / Commercial Litigation